Cancer-Fighting Super Meal
Recipe of the Week – Pasta Puttanesca with Tuna
Featuring abundant tomatoes and lots of garlic, Dr. Weil has called this delicious, easy Pasta Puttanesca with Tuna a “cancer-fighting super meal.” Refer to this link for helpful information on mercury in tuna.
- 2 28-oz cans Italian tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp capers
- ½ cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 mashed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 lb dried pasta
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 package or can of tuna (low-mercury type)
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, red pepper flakes, capers, olives, garlic and basil. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Then, add the tuna to the mix. Cook the pasta in rapidly boiling water until al dente. Drain well.
Toss the hot pasta with the tomato mixture. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.